This presentation will discuss common drugs used by children and adolescents and provide the attendee with approaches in identifying and managing patients with substance use disorders in the pediatric dental practice. Logic for experimenting, misusing, signs, symptoms, behaviors, and effects on the developing brain will be highlighted. Similarities, differences, and challenges of adolescents with co-occurring substance use and psychiatric disorders will be discussed. Dental treatment recommendations, brief interventions, effective referral protocol, and resources for family members will be discussed.
At the completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- describe alcohol and drug use in early adolescence with progression to substance use disorders in late adolescence.
- discuss the neurocognitive effects of addictive substances on the developing adolescent brain.
- discuss patterns, trends, and contributing factors to substance use \ misuse among the adolescent population
- highlight similarities, differences, and discuss challenges of adolescents with co-occurring substance use and psychiatric disorders.
- discuss how the pediatric dental practitioner and staff can identify and manage substance use and withdrawal syndrome behaviors in patients.
- recognize and deliver safe dental procedures for adolescents who are actively using alcohol and \ or other drugs; or are currently receiving treatment for opioid and substance use disorders.
- demonstrate and provide the pediatric dentist with brief interventions, referrals, and resources for the family.
CE Credit Units:
Level of skill recommended for participants:
Of interest to Dentists, Students & Residents, Dental Auxiliaries and Dental Office Staff
There are no refunds for CSPD Online CE courses. For any questions, please contact CSPD Executive Director, Paul Reggiardo, DDS, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The CE provider (CSPD) uses reasonable care in selecting and providing content that is accurate. However, the CE provider does not independently verify the content or materials. The CE provider does not represent that the instructional materials are error-free or that the content or materials are comprehensive. Any opinions expressed in the materials are those of the author(s) of the materials and not the CE provider. Completing one or more continuing education courses does not provide sufficient information to qualify the participant as an expert in the field related to the course topic or in any specific technique or procedure. The instructional materials are intended to supplement rather than substitute for the knowledge, expertise, skill and judgment of a trained health care professional.
The information we collect on our website is used to improve the content and to advance our mission of exceptional online continuing education.
We may collect the domain name and the IP address of visitors to our and use statistical software to create aggregate and user-specific information on the pages that our users visit. Email addresses may also be collected from purchases and/or user registrations.
You have the right to contact us in any matters that pertain to your privacy and we will promptly correct inaccuracies that may appear.
We use industry-standard encryption technologies when transferring and receiving consumer data exchanged on our site. When users make payments via credit cards, we only submit the information needed to obtain payment to the appropriate clearinghouses. We do not store or reuse this credit card information unless you have given us your authorization.
The California Society of Pediatric Dentistry (CSPD) is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider Approved by the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education.
ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry. Concerns or complaints about a CE provider may be directed to CSPD at (916) 231-2142 or to ADA CERP at www.ada.org/cerp
Credit is awarded on an hour-for-hour basis. Each attendee should claim only those hours of credit that he or she was in actual attendance of the educational activity. Participants should retain course certificate of completion for their records.
Original Continuing Education Certificates are subject to Dental Board of California audit and should be retained by the licentiate for a period of six years. Completion of these courses does not constitute authorization for the attendee to perform any services that he or she is not legally authorized to perform based on his or her license or permit type. This course meets the Dental Board of California’s requirements for above designated units of continuing education.
Course Materials Features
- Lessons 2
- Topics 0
- Quizzes 1
- Students 1
- Certificate Yes
- Assignment No
- Category Child Development
- Lecture Length 90 minutes
- Original Release Date April 2, 2022
- Review Date April 2, 2022
- Expiration Date April 2, 2025